This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

AT89S8252 memory write and read problem

/*------------------------------------------------
Function for memory write
------------------------------------------------*/
void EeWrite()
	{
	temp_prog = PROG_NO - 0X30;
		WMCON |= EEMEN_;
    WMCON |= EEMWE_;
program[temp_prog].e_total_turns = prog.total_turns;
program[temp_prog].e_stop1_turns = prog.stop1_turns;
// same copying code here...

for( i=0; i < 2500; i++ )
    {
       if( WMCON & EERDY_ )
           break;
    }

WMCON &= ~EEMEN_;    // EEMEN=1;
    WMCON &= ~EEMWE_;    // EEMWE_=1;

} 
This code I have written for writing an int ranging from 0000 to FFFF in the memory, but some problem is coming. Infact I have formed a structure in xdata memory and same type of structure in idata memory. I am trying to write the whole structure from idata to xdata. there are 5 of the same structures, so temp_prog is the pointer for a perticular structure. What could be wrong here. I read in the datasheet that you need to write eeprom byte by byte.
Now what should be my approach? beacuse if I will go for byte by byte write then the code size will be too big. (As there are 4 floats defined in the structure, 2 ints and 4 chars)
Even a single int = int is not working...
Is there any solution for this?
At power ON the same data I am reading back in the idata structure as follows.
/*------------------------------------------------
Function for memory read
------------------------------------------------*/
void EeRead()
{
temp_prog = PROG_NO - 0X30
WMCON |= EEMEN_;    // EEMEN=1;
prog.total_turns = program[temp_prog].e_total_turns;
prog.stop1_turns = program[temp_prog].e_stop1_turns;
prog.trvs = program[temp_prog].e_trvs;
prog.offset = program[temp_prog].e_offset;
prog.index = program[temp_prog].e_index;
prog.stop2_turns= program[temp_prog].e_stop2_turns;
prog.dir = program[temp_prog].e_dir;
WMCON &= ~EEMEN_;    // EEMEN=1;

}

Will this reading code work. Because currently it is giving a garbage value.

This is one more observation that when I compile my code in Keil, it omits some of my Instructions

It sounds strange, but is true.
When after compiling I start debugging, it wont show the breakpoint at some positions. It won't execute that instruction too! While debugging a dark gray line appears in the program window.(Vertical) at few lines it becomes faint gray. During comments it is OK but I found them faint on few more places which are not comments.
I put the same command (example Pitch = 0X40;) below the above and then it compiles both of them and if I hide one of them, it won't compile a single.

• This is one more observation that when I compile my code in Keil, it omits some of my Instructions
    It sounds strange, but is true.
    When after compiling I start debugging, it wont show the breakpoint at some positions. It won't execute that instruction too!

The Keil compiler is an optimizing compiler. That means, it optimizes your program and may move stuff around and combine things that you didn't think about. This is how all optimizing compilers work.

You should probably take a look at the following knowledgebase article: http://www.keil.com/support/docs/2467.htm.

Jon

• "Now what should be my approach? beacuse if I will go for byte by byte write then the code size will be too big."

Use a pointer in a loop to copy the structure(s) byte by byte. You need to map in the EEPROM, wait for the ready bit, write a byte, wait for the ready bit etc.

To read, all you need to do is map in the EEPROM, wait for the ready bit then do a structure assignment.

This is based on being familiar with a similar but not identical Atmel part so check the datasheet for precise information.