This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

generating right output for emulator

Hi,

I am starting my very first embedded microcontroller project and I need some assistance. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the options in the Keil IDE.

I have a phillips P8xLPC76x emulator and I am trying to get its IDE to display the source code in C to step through rather than than the assembly language and show the variable debug info.

I have set the option in keil to produce a hex file (hex-80 is the only option), on the options page (debug & browse are ticked). Yet the emulator will not show the source code. I had a look in the emulators help file and it mentioned the following:

-------------------------------------------
To produce object files suitable for PDS51 with the Keil C compiler, follow these steps:

The compiler needs to be instructed to output line number debug information to the relocatable output file produced by the compilation of each module. This is normally achieved with these compiler command line options:

C51 proj.c debug

The resulting relocatable object files can then be linked with other modules and libraries to produce the absolute output file:

L51 proj.obj to proj.omf dl ds dp

This produces an object file called PROJ.OMF which can be loaded by PDS51. The options DL (DEBUGLINES), DS (DEBUGSYMBOLS) and DP (DEBUGPUBLICS) instruct the linker to also produce symbolic and line number information needed by PDS51 for full source-level debugging. You can also specify other options to set the segment starting addresses, etc.

--------------------------------------------
The emulator supports loads of object files, i have got it loading the general intel hex format at the mo but i suspect i need the 'keil c compiler - omf51' version??

Can anyone shed some light on what i need to do to enable in keil to get the right hex file with the right debug info.

Sorry about the length of the message - just trying to give you some info.

Thanks

Barry