This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

i must want the answer

how can the processor be overclocking? to 50uhz? to 75uhz? why not 200uhz?

• What processor?

"Overclocking" just means supplying a clock that exceeds (ie, is over) the chip manufacturer's specifications.

But, whenever you exceed the manufacturer's specifications, you have absolutely no guarantee whatsoever that anything will work properly.

Take a look at this post on the subject: www.8052.com/.../180211 and be sure to follow all the related posts!

• Yes, you must want the answer, but does it matter how much you want it? Will the answer be better if you want it very much?

Did you start your project with the wrong processor? Then you did a bad design choice. Time to consider another processor, or rewrite your software to be more efficient.

Overclocking a processor intended to do 50MHz (I assume that was what you meant with your uhz - u [should actually be greek lowercase mu] is used for micro, i.e. 0.000001, while M is used for mega, i.e. 1000000) to do 75MHz would push it 50%. And for 200MHz it would push it 4 times. How would you trim a car designed for 100mph (160km/h) to do 4 times the normal speed - 400mph (640km/h)? Do you think that would work? Don't you think electronics have limitations just as the mechanical world has?

There are no fixed limit how much you can overclock a processor. It's just a question of probability that it gets damaged or starts to produce incorrect results. Or if you are lucky just locks up. Do you want a processor that works as expected? Or one that regularly locks up or gives wrong results? Or maybe even a chip that lets out the magic smoke? Which is faster - a chip that has locked up, or a chip that is run at factory-specified speed?

• Operating a processor in the 50-200 microhertz range is underclocking, not overclocking.

• how can the processor be overclocking? to 50uhz? to 75uhz? why not 200uhz?
    200 microHertz that would be "underclocking"

Erik