This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

uVision project file format (uvproj)

Ok, this is a rant, I know, but...

I once thought I had read that the new xml-based project file format would allow for multiple targets in which source files could have the same name but reside in different physical folders on disk, but I can't remember where I read it. Perhaps it was a dream?

Why do I want this?

Suppose you have two different boards (hardware) and one software project. There is a set of common files, and a set of support files for each of the boards. The board support files reside in different subfolders on disk, but they have the same file name (for instance ./board1/hardware.c and ./board2/hardware.c). With uVision, it is then impossible to define a target for each of the boards, since all project files are obviously shared between all targets, even regardless of groups. I want uVision to *switch* some files when I switch targets. I am stumped why the designers of uVision hasn't allowed for this.

I know I could use #ifdefs and a global define that belongs to the selected target (in a common file), but that's not a solution I like. Another solution is to abandon uVision and just use make, but then debugging is a hassle.

With the new xml format, it should be very easy to actually do this properly. As I see it, the current implementation is fundamentally flawed.

Regards
-Oyvind