This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

uVision (microvision) Configuration Distribution

About a week ago I searched for a way to implement all the same settings, templates and other such settings that are not project specific.

The only post on the forums I could find was this one:
http://www.keil.com/forum/57538/

With quite frankly a horrifying initial response, as anyone running a decent team with a reasonable manner of planning should want to set up as much consistent tooling across any number of workplaces.

So I contacted ARM/Keil about this, and they promptly and clearly responded to me about how to achieve what was originally asked there. I want to share this with the world for two reasons:
1. Not everyone using uVision has a license with service and support and thus not everyone will get as fast a response as I did.
2. This way maybe the Keil people won't have to answer the same question over and over.

In the installation directory (default at time of writing (v5.20): Keil_v5\UV4\) there are ".prop" files. These are plain text files with all the settings and configurations (bit Java-esque, with INI comments).

arm.prop contains the user keywords grouped by development language/text-style.

global.prop contains tab-settings, colouring settings, code templates, etc etc.

I have now set up an installation package with a post-install script that copies over a default .prop set and all newly installed systems now immediately fit the coding style and practises that "we require" without foolishly having to walk around all day. Works a treat!

----
As an aside: Yes of course I am also working on automation and checking on the new versioning-server and clients. But let's be honest here, if you want to ensure a constant level of developer aggravation, you check everything only at time of commit and retro-actively complain about errors.
----
Also: Don't know why the preview shows a US flag at my name, but I promise I chose Netherlands in the drop-down ;-)