This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What USB - serial converter works with uVision2?

Greetings all,

I have seen in various places suggestions that uVision will debug with a "high quality" USB - serial converter. What is a "high quality" USB - serial converter? How can a good one be distinguished from a bad one? Can someone give me a brand and model that is known to work?
I have already tried two different converters with no success.

A comment: For the price of Keil's products I would expect a system that works with any converter. What is a customer expected to do? Shall I continue to buy converters until I get lucky? I am trying to use the "Lite" evaluation version of Keil's uVision, but will not consider buying the full version if this sort of problem persists.

Thank you to all.

Regards,
Robert

• Sorry, I can't help you on "good" adapter since I don't need to debug with serial interface.

But no - you can not expect a program to work with any USB converter. It depends on what protocols that needs to be sent on the serial port. The USB interface introduces latencies that are not existing in real RS232 communication. And there may be huge buffers in the adapter, making it collect lots of characters before sending them to the PC - or reverse. Next thing is how it synchronizes characters received/transmitted in relation to how it synchronizes status line changes.

It is a common problem that some USB-to-serial adapters are almost totally useless for almost everything. While some adapters works with program A but not with program B while another adapter works with program B and not program A.

So no - you really can not expect Keil to supply a program that works with any USB adapter. Not when there are needs for timing-sensitive protocols to be used. It would be so much simpler when the adapter only needs to stream log data from a serial port - then it doesn't matter what delays that are introduced and how the delay vary at different times.