Author
Marc Crandall
Posted
28-Apr-2011 21:49 GMT
Toolset
ARM
New! Keil C99 & C++ mix

Hello,

I have a base project that uses C99. (compiler option --c99)

Basically c99 was used so that an aggregate type could be initialized with non-constant data as such:

#define WRITE_OP_CODE (34)

void test_fn(unsigned char param1, unsigned char param2)
{
    unsigned char writebuff[3] = {WRITE_OP_CODE, param1, param2};
    // no error on one compiler
    // and a "expression must have a constant value" error on another

}

The problem is I am now mixing in some c++ (third part library) and I get all sort of errors for the C linkage (extern "c")

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to mix C99 and C++ with various extern c linkage statements?

Read-Only
Author
scott douglass
Posted
3-May-2011 13:43 GMT
Toolset
ARM
New! RE: Keil C99 & C++ mix

C99 uses the same linkage as C90 (aka C89) so the extern "C" issues should be the same.

I can't tell what errors you are getting. Are the compiler errors or linker errors? Are you feeding 'extern "C"' to C99? You can't do that. The usual pattern for a header file is:

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

extern int myfn(int, int);

#ifdef __cplusplus
}
#endif

That way the 'extern "C"' is not seen in C or C99.

Another style is

#ifdef __cplusplus
#define EXTERN_C extern "C"
#else
#define EXTERN_C extern
#endif

EXTERN_C int myfn(int, int);
Read-Only
Author
Marc Crandall
Posted
3-May-2011 16:07 GMT
Toolset
ARM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the information. I don't think this is the problem though. I think it's more of a setup problem.

My project compiles as expected without any errors. It is a mix of C (*.c) and C++ (*.cpp). When I add the "--c99" flag to the compiler arguments it seems as though it is trying to compile the C++ source as C99.

For example I get this type of error:
error: #20: identifier "class" is undefined

How do I set up the project options such that *.c files are compiled with "--c99" and *.cpp files are compiled as C++?

Thanks

M

Read-Only
Author
scott douglass
Posted
4-May-2011 10:46 GMT
Toolset
ARM

Ah, I see. I don't think there is a way to use the same options and get C99 with .c files and C++ with .cpp files. You might find using C++ (--cpp) for your .c files gives you what you want.

Read-Only
Author
PerV Westermark
Posted
4-May-2011 11:47 GMT
Toolset
ARM

How about opening the options for the individual C files and manually give the -c99 option instead of giving it globally for the project?

This really seems to be a Keil bug to be officially reported. A project should be able to mix C and C++ without having the language-specific options fight each other.

Next Thread | Thread List | Previous Thread Start a Thread | Settings

Arm logo
Important information

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our cookies.

Change Settings

Privacy Policy Update

Arm’s Privacy Policy has been updated. By continuing to use our site, you consent to Arm’s Privacy Policy. Please review our Privacy Policy to learn more about our collection, use and transfers
of your data.