This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

ARM7 Add data at specific memory

Hello all,
I'm new to ARM and I've been trying to learn how to work with ARM7 lately. I took a class about the Freescale 68HC12, and ran into a few problems when trying to apply my knowledge to the ARM7TDMI.
The Freescale assembler had a directive which allowed me to start my code at a specific memory location using: ORG
for example:

ORG     $A000
FCB     $01, $02, $AA, $BF

That code would go to the memory location at 0xA000 and add the bytes that were shown above, such that:

0xA000 --> 1
0xA001 --> 2
0xA002 --> AA
0xA003 --> BF

Although the code above has no practical use for me, it is very useful for debugging. It allows me to add some "test data" at a specific memory location, and see if my code functions well or not. For example, if I wanted to create a program which manipulates the data at an I/O port which has a specific memory location, I can add that data at that memory location and see how my program works.
Is there a way to do that for the ARM7? I'm using Keil uVision4 (if that helps)
I know that AREA has to do with dividing my code, and DCD or DCB to force some constant words or bits into memory. Is there a way to do that at a specific memory location though?

Thanks in advance.

• Sorry, but I don't see that!

What you describe could equally be done in the Simulator, or in-system using JTAG and the debugger.

"I took a class about the Freescale 68HC12"

I think you should now take a class about ARM7.

Many distributors offer free introductory seminars.

See also: http://www.keil.com/events/

Or contact your previous training provider...