This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Code run on target via ULINK will not breakpoint

My apologies if this is a regular question, but this is driving me to bad pieces.

What we have here is

ToolChain pk51 Prof Developers kit Version 8.12
ToolChain Path C:\Keil\C51\Bin\
C Compiler C51.EXE v8.12
Assembler A51.exe v8.01
Linker/Locator LX51.exe v4.25
Librarian LibX51.exe v4.24

I am not sure how much else you may need.

I have an application which lives on an 8051 derivative controller. I can compile it ok, and the initial testing in the simulation was ok. So we ( more than one folks out here ) put it on the controller.

We use a Ulink 2.0 kinda -- its marked ULINK 2.1

Okay --- Once compiled for target and loaded on, we set some breakpoints in the text pane, flipped into debug and......

Sometimes the application starts immediately as if the run button got clicked. Other times one can push the reset button and then hit the go button. In either case, the process does not heed halt messages and will not stop at any breakpoints that were set earlier. You do not see the red square you put near a line -- you see a grey ghost.

We tried other PCs to run this procedure. Only one machine does not have the "set breakpoint" menu greyed out. Its the only one that can do debug on target. Our other three have set breakpoint greyed out while running on target, and its possible to start a run, but breakpoints are ignored.

The C51 project options window for the working machine as well as the problem children were compared and differing options were modified. This did not result in any improvement. We also tried different machines in case it was hardware. The good box runs ok, the rest do not. since we are all running the same machine ( a dell with windows xp ) I think it may be a sw option we did not see or set.

Any and all assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated. Flames cheerfully ignored. Accolades acknowledged. Even Better - What works will be posted back to share with the long suffering people!