This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Embedded Script Engine Experiences?

Just started a little research on evaluating embedded script engines, since they seem to offer a great deal of flexibility and application 'enhancement' capabilities without the need to modify source code (from what I have read). Can I get some feedback from any of you on your experiences with any of those available?

Since the target would be a Cortex M3 processor (with all the memory footprint constraints) engines such as eLua are marginal, FICL looks promising, Python, EmbeddedcH (WAY too large), Tcl?, or 'roll-your-own'?

Thanks!

• it was originally conceived as an interpreted language in the days when 32K of core (literally) store was a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGG memory!!

• I have experience using Pawn. It does exactly what it says on the tin: small, very fast, easy to interface to underlying platform. And the documentation is quite extensive. Many thanks to Thiadmer Riemersma (I believe he is the author.)

• I have not used many of the scripting tools listed on this post but I have used TcL and Tk.
    TcL is a very powerful tool but can be frustrating at times. However, there are many good books, tutorials and examples available. Tk is the easy to use GUI tool.

The links are too many to list here but the main tools are kept on SourceForge.

I have found the book "Practical Programming in TcL and Tk" one of the better books.
    It's Prentice Hall ISBN-13: 978-0-13-038560-4.
    Bradford